[Note: The following statistics were compiled by George Collich, Jr., Director of Finance for Lamb & Lion Ministries. He is the ministry's senior staff member, with over 20 years of service.]
12% of all websites on the Internet are pornographic, totaling 24.6 million sites. 40 million Americans are regular visitors to pornographic sites. In the U.S., Internet porn pulls in $2.8 billion per year, which is more than half of the worldwide total of $4.9 billion.1
In 2010 an estimated 22.6 million Americans over the age of 12 were current or former illicit drug users. Since 1980, the number of deaths due to drug overdoses has increased over 540%. Since 1990, the number of individuals who take prescription drugs illegally has risen over 500%.2
There are over 12 million unmarried partners living together in 6 million households. The number of cohabitation unmarried partners increased tenfold between 1960 and 2007.3
The divorce rate in America for a first marriage is 41%; for a second, 60%; and for a third, 73%. The divorce rate per thousand population increased from 2.6 in 1950 to 4.95 in 2010. The U.S. rate is the highest of any nation in the world.4
Children Out of Marriage
In 1980 the rate of births to unmarried women was 18.4%. By 2007, 27 years later, the rate had increased to 40%. Current trends indicate that by the year 2015, one of every two American babies will be born to a single mother, and illegitimacy will surpass divorce as the main cause of fatherlessness.5
In 2007 Americans spent almost $100 billion legally gambling in casinos and playing lotteries. Billions more were spent on illegal gambling. Households with incomes under $13,000 spent, on average, $654 a year on lottery tickets. Teen and college age gambling increased 600% between 2001 and 2005.6
The number of jail and prison inmates has increased exponentially since 1980 from half a million to 2.5 million. In 2009, the number of persons under correctional supervision (jail, prison, parole and probation) totaled 7.2 million.7
A total of 54.5 million babies have been aborted since the Supreme Court legalized abortion in 1973. An estimated 43% of all American women have at least one abortion by the time they are 45 years old. Half of all pregnancies among American women are unintended, and four out of ten of these are terminated by abortion.8
One in every four American women will experience violence in her lifetime. An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of domestic violence each year. The majority of domestic violence cases are never reported to the police.9
Over 3 million reports of child abuse are made every year in the United States, many of which include multiple children. In 2009, 3.3 million abuse reports were made involving 6 million children. More than 5 children die every day due to child abuse. It is estimated that 50 to 60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.10
Between 2003 and 2010, 116 students were killed in 109 separate incidents — an average of 16.5 student homicides each year. In 2007 a nationwide survey of students in grades 9-12 showed that 6% of the students carried a weapon (gun, knife or club) on school property during the month before the survey. And 22% of the students were offered, sold or given an illegal drug on school property during the year before the survey.11
There are approximately 12 million crimes committed in the United States every single year, the worst record of any nation in the world. There are over 1 million members of criminal gangs inside our nation, and they are responsible for 80% of the crimes committed each year. There are over 100,000 rapes in the U.S. each year, the highest number of any nation. The city of Detroit, Michigan looks like a war zone and violent crime is thriving. So far this year in Detroit, car thefts are up 83%, robberies are up 50%, burglaries are up 20% and property destruction is up 42%.12
Americans love to be number 1. Here are some embarrassing areas where we rank number 1 in the world:13
- Government debt
- Car thefts
- Teen pregnancy
- Reported crimes
- Obese people
- Mental disorders
- Illegal drug use
- Credit card fraud
- Credit card debt
- Divorce rate
- Plastic surgery
And we have the audacity to call ourselves a "Christian nation"? We have received more blessings than any other nation in history. Yet, we as a nation have turned our back on God. We are now reaping what we have sown. Like the old Roman Empire, we are rotting to death from within. Our only hope is a national revival that will turn people's hearts back to God. Pray for it.
1) OnlineSchools, "The Stats on Internet Pornography," www.onlinemba.com/ blog/stats-on-internet-pornography.
2) Michael's House, "Drug Addiction Facts and Statistics," www.michaelshouse.com/drug-addiction/drug-addictionstatistics.
3) Unmarried.org, "Statistics on Marriage," www.unmarried.org/statistics.html.
4) NationMaster.com, "Divorce rate (most recent) by country," www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_div_rat-people-divorce-rate.
5) FirstThings.org, "Out of Wedlock Pregnancy Fact Sheet," http://firstthings.org/page/research/out-of-wedlock-pregnancy-fact-sheet.
6) James Quinn, "American's Gambling $100 Billion in Casino's Like Rats in a Cage," www.casinowatch.org/commentary/like_rats_in_a_cage.html.
7) Wikipedia, "Incarceration in the United States, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States.
8) Steven Ertelt, "54,559,615 Abortions Since Roe vs. Wade Decision in 1973," www.lifenews.com/2012/01/23/54559615-abortions-sinceroe-vs-wade-decision-in-1973.
9) NCADV Public Policy Office, "Domestic Violence Facts," www.ncadv.org/files/DomesticViolenceFactSheet(National).pdf.
10) ChildHelp.org, "National Child Abuse Statistics," www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics.
11) Center for Disease Control, "Understanding School Violence," www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention.
12) EndOfTheAmericanDream.com, "10 Facts About Crime In The United States That Will Blow Your Mind," http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives.
13) EndOfTheAmericanDream.com, "USA #1? 40 Embarrassing Things That America Is The Best In The World At," http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives.