Let's now quickly apply the particular principles taught in the last part of my teaching about how God relates to the nations to the United States.
As I pointed out, I believe God raised up this nation with the purpose of using our great natural resources and technical ingenuity to spread the Gospel all over the world. As we fulfilled this purpose, He poured out blessings upon us, blessings like unparalleled freedom, prosperity, immense power and worldwide influence. He blessed us as no other nation has ever been blessed since the time of ancient Judah. He even gave us the blessing of serving as the key nation in the rebirthing and nurturing of the nation of Israel. What a blessing that was!
But, we became enamored with our wealth and our power, and we began turning our back on God. The Almighty Dollar became our god. Greed became our motivator. Gambling became a national pastime. Sex became our obsession. We became the largest consumer in the world of illegal drugs. We kicked God out of our schools. We legalized abortion. We are in the process of legalizing same-sex marriage. And, we became the moral polluter of planet earth through our violent, immoral and blasphemous movies and television programs.
As we wallowed in the sexual revolution of the 1960's, God raised up voices like Pastor David Wilkerson to call this nation to repentance. When we refused to repent, the remedial judgments began to fall.
Let me just pause here and say that all things that happen bad to a nation are not necessarily remedial judgments. Many calamities are just simply the products of natural forces. A true remedial judgment can be determined by its magnitude or by its timing or both.
Considering those factors, I believe that some of the remedial judgments we have experienced in recent years are these:
- The Vietnam War occurred on the heels of the sexual revolution of the 1960's.
- The 9/11 attacks, where God allowed the terrorists to be successful in attacking the two symbols of American pride. Have you ever thought about that? They were successful in attacking the two symbols of American pride. And what were those symbols? The Twin Towers in New York which represented our wealth, and the Pentagon in Washington, DC which represented our power.
- Then there's Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Undoubtedly in my mind, its God's response to our immorality and our forcing Israel to abandon the Gaza Strip. We forced Israel to get out of Gaza, and you can see what the result of that was. It became a terrorist nest. The storm formed suddenly in the Gulf of Mexico on the very last day of the Gaza withdrawal. It was not a hurricane that came across the Atlantic Ocean. It formed in the Gulf of Mexico. The very last day of the Gaza withdraw it hit New Orleans just as it was getting ready to host its annual homosexual festival.
- The September 2008 Market Crash again was a response to our attempts to strong-arm Israel into surrendering its heartland. That crash occurred on the eve of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and the market fell. I tell you, I nearly fainted when I saw this in the paper. The market fell 777 points — 7-7-7. It was like God signed it with His signature. The symbol of man is 6-6-6. The symbol of God is 7-7-7, perfection to the utmost. That's exactly how many points it fell.
- Another of these judgments is the type of leaders that we deserve. It is no accident that our current President is the most pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, anti-Capitalist, anti-Israel leader in the entire history of our nation. His mistreatment of Israel should be of particular concern to us because the Bible says God will bless those who bless Israel and curse those who curse Israel. Also, we are told in Joel 3:2 that God will severely judge all nations who are involved in dividing the land of Israel in the end times. That is exactly what we are trying to do.
In the third part of my teaching on America's spiritual crisis, we'll look at Judah as a prophetic type.